Finished your book? Now the work starts with getting golden sales
As I often say writing a book is a big undertaking. And as I often say it is worth it. It is worth it because it will raise your profile and enable you to get more clients and charge more for your services.
BUT BUT BUT this will only happen if you make the effort to sell your book.
I am always disappointed when I see people who have put in so much effort into writing their book and then just sit back and do nothing. They don’t get the benefit of all their hard work.
So what goes wrong here?
One reason why authors fail to sell is that they aren’t clear at the beginning about why they are writing a book. Perhaps they day dream about making millions and hitting the best seller list. Well this might happen and good luck to you if it does, but for most of us it is unlikely. So don’t get disappointed if your Amazon sales are not rocketing (although there are some things you can do to increase them which I will tell you about another time). It is not the most important measure of success for your book.
Not all book buyers are equal
Instead think about the quality of the sales. Let take an example. Say you have written a book on dealing with anxiety, or weightloss, or giving up smoking. Good you want to sell it. The bad news is there are literally thousands of books on these subjects and it is going to be hard to make your book stand out. The good news is that a just few dozen sales can transform your business. Here are some golden sales you can think about making.
- Sales to the leaders of local groups and clubs working with people suffering from the problem your book solves
- Sales to other healthy living profesisonals in your area
- Sales to your local GPs (perhaps a special deal if they keep
it is the waiting room)
- Sales to health food shops
- Sales to gyms and sports clubs
- Sales to local grooming and personal care professionals
- Sales to local media figures (local journalists and radio presenters for example)
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY SALES TO YOUR CLIENTS - if you have written a book expect EVERY CLIENT WHO COMES TO SEE YOU WITH THAT ISSUE SHOULD BUY YOUR BOOK. IF THEY DO NOT THEN IMPROVE YOUR SALES TECHNIQUE
The 3 reasons why these booksales matter the most
Why are these sales worth so much more than selling to someone you’ve never met on Amazon? Three reasons
- Firstly, it will raise your profile and identify you as a
local expert. It will make you stand out from the crowd Your reputation will
grow and you will be able to charge more.
- Secondly, your message will get across to potential clients.
Those book buyers become your ambassadors for your skills. You will get more
- Thirdly, new clients will get extra resources and that means they are more likely to succeed. And successful clients bring more clients.
So before you even start writing your book make a list of your golden customers. (You can even go and talk to them at this stage and find out what they would like from your book).
If you have already written a book then dust off those copies under the bed and GET SELLING THEM. You are not going to make a fortune from the cover price but you could easily double you income from clients if you do it properly and get those golden sales coming in.
So don’t just Get Writing Get Selling as well